CLERMONT, FL. – The Lesley Lynx softball team fought hard on Sunday, but were not able to hold off a comeback in a 6-5 loss to Emmanuel and were not able to complete a comeback in a 9-6 loss to Husson. The Lynx are now 0-4 this season, while Emmanuel moved up to 1-0 and Husson now sits at 1-2.
INSIDE GAME 1:
- The Lynx came out of the gates swinging, taking a four run lead into the top of the third. Allyson Murphy drove in Mahlia Medina with a single and then later scored on a single by Antonia Kieran in the first inning and Medina got an RBI of her own before being driven in by a Jordan Day double in the second.
- Emmanuel got on the board in the fourth when Maddie Eastman drew a bases loaded walk, but Lynx pitcher Kara Haga was able to limit the damage and hold the Saints hitless into the fifth inning.
- Kerry Sendrick tripled in the fifth inning for the Saints to drive in two and bring her team within a run of the Lynx. The Saints then scored three runs in the bottom of the sixth off of Emily Streight to pull ahead for good and pick up the win.
- Tianna Dawe was the winning pitcher for the Saints. She came in to relieve Grace Orcutt and pitched the final four and a third innings, walking four but only allowing one hit. Orcutt and Dawe combined for eight strikeouts on the day.
- Haga started strong for the Lynx, but finished allowing three runs (two earned) on four hits. Streight picked up the loss after allowing three runs and only recording two outs.
INSIDE GAME 2:
- Lesley was on the board first again in their game against Husson, thanks to a solo home run from Day, her first of the season.
- Husson made their mark in the third inning when they scored four runs. Eagles pitcher Sydney Ames helped her own cause by tripling and being driven in by Katie Windsor. Windsor later scored on a passed ball and the Eagles made some productive outs to push two more runs across.
- In the bottom of the third, Medina doubled to drive in Lindsey Jensen and then scored when Murphy reached on an error. The Lynx were able to pull within one before Husson scored three more in the top of the fourth.
- Lesley would not go out quietly. After Streight reached on an error to drive in Kieran, Jensen sent Streight home on a double and then scored herself on another Medina double. Day was then walked, but the Lynx could not get anything else across the plate. Husson scored three runs again in the top of the seventh to put the game out of reach.
- Streight took the loss again for the Lynx, falling to 0-3 on the season. Ames earned the win, despite allowing six runs (only two earned).
The Lynx have a day off on Monday before returning to Legends Way on Tuesday March 10th for a doubleheader against Bates at 4 PM and Haverford at 6:15 PM.